Decision Counseling in Divorce/Photo by cottonbro
What is Decision Counseling?
It’s a series of counseling sessions offered by a licensed Mental Health Professional which is designed to give you clarity and confidence about your decisions to either:
a) preserve the status quo (do nothing);
b) separate and/or divorcee ; or
c) commit whole-heartedly to intensive couples therapy for 6 months, with divorce completely off the table.
Decision Counseling is NOT couples counseling.
The goal isn’t necessarily to stay together. The goal is clarity for decision-making.
Decision Counseling is time-limited process.
5- 8 weeks maximum, 1.5 to 2 hours per week.
What are the benefits of Decision Counseling?
1. Generate greater clarity and confidence about your decision.
2. Help you more clearly understand what it will take for both of you to be willing to sustain the relationship.
3. Enhance your readiness for a more focused, committed, and therefor effective, couples therapy process – if that is your decision;
4. Help you prepare for a more peaceful, respectful separation/divorce – if that is your decision;
5. Identify personal challenges that you would want to work on to be more effective in any relationship;
6. Increase your sense of personal responsibility and power for your decision, whatever that is, and decrease blaming (yourself or partner) that risks damaging any future relationship with your partner/co-parent;
7. Provide comfort, clarity and closure for a partner not wanting the breakup, so you can both move forward more respectfully (if you are a co-parent, this also benefits your children.